Create a Killer Resume and Cover Letter

A Short Guide to Creating a Great Cover Letter

cover letter

We may receive compensation when you click on links to products from our partners.

We’re often told how important it is to make sure our cv is up to scratch but it’s also incredibly important to make an effort to include a well-thought-out covering letter. Whether you’re experienced in your field or just starting out and applying for internships, this is your opportunity to sell yourself to recruiters or employers – so be sure to put sufficient time into your letter as well as your cv. Here are a few tips to get you started:

Write a letter without fail

Always write a cover letter, or at the very least a formal email, to introduce yourself and explain your suitability for the role – even if the job ad doesn’t specifically ask for one. This is your one chance to sell yourself and help to make your cv stand out from the crowd so don’t pass it up.

Whether you’re experienced in your field or just starting out and applying for internships, always include a well-thought-out covering letter. this is your opportunity to sell yourself to recruiters or employersClick To Tweet

Stay serious

Avoid the temptation to try and make a lasting impression by writing a quirky or amusing covering letter. It’s impossible to know how receptive the person dealing with applications is to that kind of thing so it’s always best to play it safe. While it might work on rare occasions, for every interview you land by being ‘wacky’ with your covering letter, you’ll likely miss out on tens of others.

Cover all the bases

Be sure to cover each of the person specification points outlined in the job ad, explaining why you tick each of the relevant boxes. If you don’t have previous experience in some of the areas, be sure to give examples of experience you do have that you will be able to adapt and bring across to the new role. Also, be concise; while you want to get across just how perfect you are for the role, you also don’t want to bore potential employers. Keep it simple and save your best for the interview.

Investigate the employer

Do your research – it always helps to demonstrate that you know about the company you’re applying for a job with, and while you’ll want to save most of that for the interview, it can’t harm to show that you have an active interest in the company when writing your covering letter. Explain why you’re interested in the role, and more specifically, what attracts you to that particular company.

Explore the final details

Always address your letter to the relevant person – many ads will tell you exactly who to address in your covering letter but if it isn’t clear be sure to call up and find out. Not only does this show initiative, but putting the right person’s name at the top of your letter also looks so much better than ‘To whom it may concern’ or ‘Dear Sir/Madam’. Also sign off in the correct fashion – if you have opened with the recipient’s name, finish with ‘Yours sincerely’. However, if you have begun with ‘Dear Sir’, then you’ll want to end the letter with ‘Yours faithfully’.

Our Pick
Alternatives to the Apply Button
$9.99

Many job seekers feel that if they apply to enough jobs online they will eventually get a job that way. The reality is that only 6% of job seekers find their jobs online. This book will help to show you where the pitfalls are in the process and what the other 94% are doing.

Buy on Amazon Learn More
We earn a commission if you click this link and make a purchase at no additional cost to you.
06/19/2021 09:58 pm GMT
Lasso Brag

Keep it fresh

Write a new covering letter for each job application. As tempting as it might be to re-use a standard template for each new application, you won’t be making the most of your chance to impress your prospective employer if you fail to tailor the letter to that specific position. And besides, if you send off a letter and forget to change the name/company from your last template then the place you’re applying to will be on to you straight away – and if they feel that you’re too lazy to write a unique covering letter, they’re unlikely to see you as a viable candidate.

mistake error

Check it before sending

Double-check your letter for spelling and grammar mistakes. You want to give the best impression possible, so run a spell check and get somebody else to have a read-through to make sure your words scan properly.

101 Best Cover Letters
$18.00

Beat out the competition for the best jobs

Create an image of accomplishment, professionalism, and competence that today’s employers are begging for!

Buy on Amazon Learn More
We earn a commission if you click this link and make a purchase at no additional cost to you.
06/19/2021 11:13 pm GMT
Lasso Brag

What's next?

home popular resources subscribe search