Let’s say you found out 3 months ago that your company was going to outsource your department in the next 6-9 months. Everyone in your department had the option of moving (at their own cost) to the new location (1,500 miles away in the middle of nowhere). You decide to stay and look for a new job, after all, you have at least 6 months to find a new job. 3 months into your search and you’ve not yet found a new job. You’ve had your share of interviews, but the job opportunities have not matched your experience. Jobs that you should be qualified for are somehow out of reach. In fact, it almost seems as if you are no longer qualified for the job you have. Sound familiar?
Many companies are now looking for (what I call) “Super Hero Candidates” to fill their open positions. These are people who are very experienced, have specific job skills/experience and are a perfect fit for the job. While there is not much you can do if you don’t have the right experience for an opportunity, there are lots you can do to “re-package” your job search marketing toolkit to look as “qualified” as possible (without stretching the truth).
Network, Network, Network – the most important three words in job search. According to a report from ABC News, 80% of today’s jobs are landed through networking.Tweet This
I was watching one of those reality shows where they take the ugliest and worst dressed people and give them a makeover. What started out as a motley crew of people you’ve ever seen, turns into the most amazing people you’ve ever seen. Great looking, well dressed and reeking of success. So then I started thinking, why not do the same for your job search? Maybe your resume and interviews are a little on the shabby side and need a bit of a makeover. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.
Skills and Experience
Take another look and your skills and experience. Does your resume really reflect all that you’ve done and all of your skills? Now is not the time to be shy. List every accomplishment and success you’ve had over the last 10 years (and the skills needed to accomplish those successes) and make sure they are reflected in your resume.
“For every role you apply to, tailor the skills section of your resume so that the information included matches the skills mentioned in the job description. You can also weave in your skills in the experience section, as you describe the tasks and responsibilities of roles you’ve held in the past. ” – Alison Doyle.
- Your Job Skills Portfolio
- GreyCampus – Transform your careers through skills and certification training. GreyCampus is a leading provider of training for working professionals in the areas of Project Management, Big Data, Data Science, Service Management and Quality Management.
- LinkedIn Learning – LinkedIn Learning provides over 10,000 business, technology, and creative skills development courses designed for in-depth instruction and just-in-time microlearning.
- Simplilearn – Simplilearn is a leading certification training provider. They provide online training in disciplines such as Cyber Security, Cloud Computing, Project Management, Digital Marketing, and Data Science among others, where technologies and best practices are changing rapidly and demand for qualified candidates significantly exceeds supply.
You’ve seen it on this site and every other job search site – your resume is the most important document in your job search. Using the exercise from above, restructure your resume to ensure it reflects the fact that you are a super candidate. Remember, you are not stretching the truth here, just ensuring that every great thing you’ve done is properly reflected in your resume.
- What to Include in Your Resume
- TopResume Professional Resume Writing – TopResume provides a professional resume writing service with a network of over 1,000 writers, including certified career coaches, former and current recruiters, and professionals with specialized experience in over 65 industries. TopResume has years of experience reviewing and writing resumes, leveraging keywords and formats that will help you land your dream job.
- Resume to Referral – You need a resume writing strategy that will work best for your career situation and current job search. Resume to Referral can help you land a new job with an amazing resume.
- Free Resume Review – Not ready to spend some money on your resume? Let TopResume resume experts provide you with objective feedback and personalized recommendations to improve your resume and land the right job sooner. Get a free, confidential resume review from TopResume
Printing Your Resume
You must bring copies of your resume to an interview (don’t assume the interviewer has a copy). Plain white paper? Everyone has that. Use something that will stand out and show employers that you are serious about your job search (and your resume). It’s a small detail, but the paper you use to print your resume really does matter. If you hand over your resume on see-through, low-quality, sorta crinkled paper from the bottom of your desk drawer – it’s just not going to cut it. Resume-quality paper is available and affordable on Amazon and at most office supply stores. It will be well worth the investment.
|Type of Resume Paper||Weight||Color||Description||Review|
|Cotton Resume Paper||24lbs||Ivory||This stationery has a rich texture and distinctive crispness that set it apart from ordinary printer paper or copy paper. Endorsed by the National Résumé Writer’s Association||"I used this paper for my resume at a college career fair, and I'd say that it impressed especially considering that most college kids were printing their resumes on normal printer paper."
|Linen Resume paper||32lbs||Ivory||This stationery has a rich linen paper texture and distinctive crispness that set it apart from ordinary printer paper or copy paper.||"This is an amazing textured resume! It's a very light cream color. Not too thick or too thin (not transparent). Ink adheres fine and it looks and feels great with the linen texture.|
|Cotton Business Paper||32lbs||Ivory||Using this 25% Cotton Linen Business Paper, in creamy linen ivory, means you’re on your way to making a lasting impression.||To be honest I never imagined I would get this excited over paper. I was just looking for some good quality papers for formal matters, and these are some very beautiful sheets I’ve stumbled upon here on Amazon|
|Business Cotton||24lbs||White||This premium 24 lb. paper is great for proposals, resumes and reports or for any document where quality matter.||"This paper really is great. It has a very nice weight to it and is extremely professional looking. I found that it was just enough to be nicer than normal paper, but not so fancy as to be off putting. I do recommend it."|
|Parchment Specialty Paper||24lbs||Grey||This quality textured paper is free of acid and lignin, so your documents can stand the test of time and stand out with the distinguished, distinctive look of parchment.||"I love this brand of parchment paper for creating certificates, it's great quality, prints well, the price is better than what you pay in a retail store and because I buy in bulk, they last a long time!"|
|Cream Linen Paper||28lbs||Cream||This letterhead paper is made from a 28b bond Cream linen textured paper stock. ream Linen Paper & Envelopes combo pack makes it easy & simple to create professional resumes.||"A very nice stationery set -- no frills (which is what I wanted). The color and texture of the paper are elegant. "|
Once you’ve got your killer resume and are ready to print it on your premium paper, consider FedEx Office or some other professional printing service.
Research the companies where you would like to work. What type of research? If they are a publicly held company, look up their financials (make sure they are a viable company). You can also look up how employees rate the company (you don’t want to work for a company that no one likes). What about other company rankings (best company to work for, etc.)? Take a look at glassdoor.com (see the chart below).
It won’t help if you get the interview but can’t get through the interview. Maybe it’s time to take review your interview skills and interview questions. Maybe you need personalized interview coaching to help you ace the interview.
- A Guide to Successful Interviewing
- TopResume – TopInterview tailors each session to you and your unique goals. Your choice of comprehensive packages make it easy to get the help you need to nail your interviews. TopInterview offers three plans based on your needs
It is all about who you know (sorry, it just is). While not every job will be sourced through some contact, the vast majority will (and are). Networking is not only about who you know (friends, family and colleagues), it’s also about who knows who you know (if that makes any sense). It sometimes comes down to “six degrees of separation” (aka “it’s a small world”) which means you need to leverage your network in a different way. In “the old days”, there was no easy way to tell who knew who, but today there are a number of websites that can tell you who is linked to who.