Who would have thought that Twitter could be leveraged for job search? When I first joined Twitter almost 9 years ago, Twitter was fairly new and very limited in the way it was used. Times have changed, and Twitter has become a great way to search for a job and get job leads.
Why, you may ask, would you want to use Twitter in your job search? Well for one, you get information “real time” in many cases. One of the more important theories of job search is to “get there first” as this gives you the best chance. There are several ways to leverage Twitter:
Career Advice and Tips: Lots of great tips for our career from many career experts. You can try the following hashtags:
Job Leads: Who’s hiring, where to find jobs, hot jobs and more. Twitter is a great place to get a jump on new job leads with the following hashtags:
Job Search Tips: On your way to finding a job, you will want some help with your resume, cover letters, interviews, etc. Twitter is a great place to leverage these resources:
Researching Employers: Twitter is a great place to research potential employers. You should get information if you use a # in front of the companies name. You can also try:
Need more information? Just take a look at the links below. Leverage the power of Twitter now.
- HOW TO: Find a Job on Twitter – This article, featured on mashable.com and written by Sarah Evans provides a great overview for leveraging Twitter for your job search. Some basics like “make your presence known” and include a link to your resume/cv. There is also a link to a free template for creating a professional Twitter background. At the bottom of the post are links to a few recruiters on Twitter.
- UNEMPLOYED? TIPS TO USE TWITTER FOR YOUR JOB SEARCH | CAREERS – This article, from Ceoworld Magazine, gives a brief overview of what Twitter is and how to use it followed by how Twitter can get a job for you. There is also some tips on changing your background, how to prepare your broadcast, tips on who to follow and a long list of job related sites on Twitter at the bottom of the page.
- 50 Terrific Twitter Tips for Job Seekers – 50 tips from MBA Jobs on how to use Twitter. This article is organized along several topics: Branding, Networking, Etiquette, Tools, and People to follow. There are a number of great tips and, depending on your particulars, you will want to leverage many of these. One, like “add a photo” may not work as well (you will need to decide, like if you look like your 80 when you are really 40). Branding is very similar to the “Market yourself” advice that I often give. My favorite (although you should read all of them) is Tools, (too many to list them all here) but Twittercal is pretty neat. The Tools section has direct links.
- The Beginner’s Guide To Finding A Job With Twitter – This article is from jobmob.co.il and provides 20 tips for leveraging Twitter in your job search. While you are on this site, take a look at some of the other great resources (like the book “The Ultimate Twitter Job Search Guide”).
- Book Corner: [easyazon_link asin=”1593577915″ locale=”US” new_window=”default” nofollow=”default” tag=”caree07-20″ add_to_cart=”default” cloaking=”default” localization=”default” popups=”default”]The Twitter Job Search Guide: Find a Job and Advance Your Career in Just 15 Minutes a Day[/easyazon_link]
We are always eager to hear from our readers. Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions or suggestions regarding CareerAlley content.
Good luck in your search,