According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the outlook for technology careers is looking really good. Whether you’ve just graduated from college, graduated 10 years ago or have just started your college career, it’s never too early (or late) to find a hot career that will fit your needs and (hopefully) experience. There are lots of great reasons to consider careers in Technology. New technology markets are being created on a regular basis, the demand still exceeds the supply, the pay is really good, need I go on? Today’s post covers some great careers in Technology.
Technology Careers – Technology has been a hot career choice for a very long time. What’s more, the diversity of technology career choices provides great choices for just about anyone. Some ideas for you to think about:
- Software Developers –
- What They Do – According to Wikipedia, “A software developer is a person concerned with facets of the software development process. Their work includes researching, designing, implementing, and testing software. A software developer may take part in design, computer programming, or software project management.”
- How Much They Make – Of course lots depends on experience and where you work (both location and company). But the median national salary is $93,350 according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics and the job market is growing at 22%, much faster than average.
- Education Requirements – A degree is the best way to go about entering this field (of course experience counts for a lot too). Many software developers have been coding since they were very young and, by the time they get to college, are already very experienced developers.
- Finding a job – The usual suspects (and true for each of the careers listed below) – networking, college career centers, research and job boards. You can also take a look at some of the specialty job search boards ==>> Software developer jobs
- Book Corner – Being Geek: The Software Developer’s Career Handbook
Network Administrators –
- What They Do – Network Administrators are generally responsible for the maintenance of computer hardware and software systems within a company or organization. They are support staff within an organization and focus on network components, infrastructure and ensuring systems integrity.
- How Much They Make – This varies depending on the size of the organization and the complexity of the networks/infrastructure. The median national salary is $74,000 according to BLS.
- Education Requirements – There is a fair amount of technical knowledge you must have for this role, so a degree or formal technical training is generally expected. There are also certification programs which can supplement your degree.
- Finding a job – Technical job search boards, networking (with people that is), college career centers and research is the best approach. You can also take a look at some of the hot job listings ==>> Network Administrator Job
- Book Corner – The Practice of System and Network Administration, Second Edition
Mobile Applications Specialist –
- How Much They Make – The median salary is $89,000 or so, depending where and what you do. You can some information here ==>>Salary Info
- Education &/or Training Requirements – Many of the requirements are listed in the “What they do” section above, but for more detail, you can find some of the requirements at the following link ==>>Educational Requirements
- Finding a job – Although highly in demand, your best bet is if you know someone (or know someone who knows someone) in an organization looking for this skill set. Otherwise technical job search boards, and research is the best approach. You can also take a look at some of the specialty job search boards ==>> Mobile Applications Jobs
- Book Corner – Mobile Applications: Architecture, Design, and Development: Architecture, Design, and Development
Software Security –
- What They Do – These are experts trained to detect, analyze and remediate threats and continuously protect organizations’ software and networks from security threats. Think NSA or the equivalent with in the corporate world.
- How Much They Make – One of the higher paying jobs due to the demand, the median salary is $93,000 with the top 10 percent making more than $138,000 per year (according to globalpost.com). You can see the full salary survey here ==>>Mobile Applications Specialist
- Education &/or Training Requirements – Best bet is to look at degree requirements at universities, you can find some of the requirements at the following link ==>>Educational Requirements
- Finding a job – Technical job search boards, and research is the best approach. You can also take a look at some of the specialty job search boards ==>> Software Security Jobs
- Book Corner –
Computer Forensic Investigator –
- What They Do – One of the more unusual tech jobs, these individuals are investigators who search, identify and evaluate information from computer systems, often for corporate crimes and generally for trial evidence.
- How Much They Make – According to trainace.com, the average salary is $58,000 with the top jobs making more than $105,000 per year.
- Education &/or Training Requirements – You most definitely need a degree, and requirements can be found at universities that specialize in IT.
- Finding a job – Technical job search boards, and research is the best approach. You can also take a look at some of the specialty job search boards ==>> Computer Forensic Jobs
- Book Corner – Introduction to computer forensics and investigations
Career Tip of the Day:
We are always eager to hear from our readers. Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions or suggestions regarding CareerAlley content.
Good luck in your search,