We may receive compensation when you click on links to products from our partners.
When you search for a job, you usually just Google job openings or maybe you use popular
You might be wondering why we are talking about networking when all you want to do is to
In relation, 60% of top recruiters use LinkedIn recruiting tools. What does this mean? It simply implies that if you start using LinkedIn to your advantage, it could give you a higher chance of possibility to land a job.
How to Use LinkedIn to Look for Relevant Jobs
If you have not signed up for an account yet, go ahead and create one. It is free and easy to create, much like your other social media profiles. However, you have a set of areas you need to fill in. Go through the checklist below to make sure that you have a strong professional profile on the site.
According to a global survey conducted by LinkedIn, 61% of professionals from around the world agree that professional network interactions can open up career opportunities. As a matter of fact, one survey estimates that 85% of open key positions are filled through networking.Tweet This
- Upload a professional-looking headshot – Ditch the cute selfie, you want to be perceived as an expert in your field so upload a professional-looking
- Draft your headline – Make this part clear and concise because this is one of the first things that people will see when they look at your profile. Quick Tip: This is a place to brag about your skills and not to talk about what type of job you are looking for.
An example headline:
- List your skills– Use up all the 50 skills slots that LinkedIn allows. This helps you get easily found by recruiters.
- List your work experiences– Make sure you include both the role and greatest achievement within that role.
- Upload your resume – Learn how to add a resume on LinkedIn so that it can be easily downloaded or viewed by interested recruiters viewing your profile. The easier they find what they need, the better.
- Recommend and request for recommendations – When you recommend people for certain skills, there is a big chance that they will recommend you too. Recommendations are important in the sense that they serve as visible proof that these people vouch for your abilities
- Include volunteer jobs– If you have any, make sure to list volunteer work done in the past. This is not to brag but rather to give potential employers a glimpse of your advocacies in life.
- Network with the right people– This means try to get as many connections as you can within your industry. Responding to posts as well as posting relevant and reliable content can also help establish your expertise. The more people know of your existence, the bigger your chances of getting referred to jobs.
- Start Applying for Jobs – Proactively search for jobs on the site and make sure to set job alerts so you do not miss new openings.
Additional Tips to Get Best Results on LinkedIn
Improve your chances of landing your ideal job by following these tips:
Make it a habit to check LinkedIn regularly- You can either apply for jobs, respond to threads, post updates relevant to your industry, or you can also work on expanding your connection. Like everything else, it needs cultivation for it to bear fruits.
Follow business and brands in your industry – Majority of the companies these days publicly post their job openings on the site, so you want to be alerted when that happens. Another benefit of doing this is that you can stay updated with any news or changes in the company. This is good information to know when you get interviewed. Having knowledge or background about the company you are applying for shows interest. Something that recruiters look for in applicants.
Include your LinkedIn profile on your resume – Your resume can be passed on to other people for review until it reaches the hiring manager. You want them to have easy access to your online portfolio should they need to so do forget to include your profile link.
Regularly update your LinkedIn account – Do not forget to update your profile on LinkedIn whenever you learned a new skill or earned a certificate. Job qualifications for all types of roles evolve to make way for new technology or processes. You do not want anyone skipping your profile just because you forgot to include an important skill update.
LinkedIn is one of the best online tools that you can utilize when looking for a job or career advancement. One advantage is that it is centered around business and employment, so you know that industry leaders are on there. Aside from the fact that it is a great site to look for employment; it is a great avenue for you to learn from business leaders by following and interacting with them. So, take the time and explore the functions and features of LinkedIn so you can maximize its potential.