We may receive compensation when you click on links to products from our partners.
Have you ever worked a straight 9-5 and got into the repetitive routines that come with it? It can get boring, despite having the weekends free, and the one thing that you should think about doing is switching it up! Have you considered switching your schedule to shift working instead? Companies all over the world are doing what they can to increase workplace
Some people wouldn’t consider going from Monday-Friday with regular weekends off to working shift work in unsociable hours, but it’s this switch that can make a big difference to your life. If you’re about to embark on a role that has you working shifts, especially in the busy hospitality industry, you might need to reflect on the benefits of shift work before you go for it! Let’s take a look:
- Better productivity. When there are shifts in your workplace, especially if you have two patterns of 12 hour shifts, you are going to find that there are fewer opportunities for miscommunications and disruptions that could possibly occur during the shift changes. With fewer chances for turnover and lower accident rates, shiftwork is a good idea.
- More accountability. When there are two teams in the hospitality world, there is far more accountability. If there is an issue, one of two teams will be the problem and it’s very easy to trace where the problem comes from.
- Easy to adjust. Working shifts in hospitality is surprisingly easy to get used to! It takes a few shifts to get into the groove with it and 12 hour shifts can provide you with much more time off than you think! You might not always have weekends off, but you will be able to enjoy the benefits of working shifts!
- The money. Honestly, those unsociable hours come with perks! Extra pay for overtime, even more pay for double shifts – the benefits of shift work are many but the pay is the best one! You can have almost unlimited earning potential because of the chance to take on as many shifts as you like.
- Uplifted mood. When you can pull an overtime shift, work hard and get paid a high amount of money, you’re going to feel good about it. 12 hour shifts sound like a grind but you can bet that three long shifts a week is easier than five short ones!
There are so many benefits of the 12 hour shift, and the schedule has worked really well in the hospitality industry. There are a lot of factors that influence which shift pattern will work for you, and you will have a little trial and error to go through. It’s these factors that you should take into some consideration when you think about whether you want to really switch over to shift work. Whether you want to work in bars or events, shift work could be the way forward for you!