We may receive compensation when you click on links to products from our partners.
College can be an enjoyable experience, but it can also be terrifying at the same time. You pick your major and minors at the beginning, then there is the big question of what you’re going to do after graduation.
If you did decide to pursue further education, then you might find yourself looking at a bunch of standardized tests that you need to take to get into graduate school. Among others, MCAT and GRE are among the ones that have a high number of test-takers.
ESSENTIAL SUBJECT REVIEW FOR YOUR TOP MCAT SCORE. This comprehensive, all-in-one resource prepares you for the MCAT with in-depth content reviews, test-conquering strategies, a tear-out "cheat sheet" reference guide, and 4 full-length online practice exams for total test preparation.
Here is everything that can help make the decision.
What Is MCAT?
The MCAT is a very highly recognized admission test for medical colleges across North America. The test is conducted by the AAMC, Association of American Medical Colleges. It tests the candidates’ knowledge of common topics related to the medical field, such as biology and social sciences. It also tests various skills. the MCAT is known to be particularly difficult, but it’s the perfect choice for a future doctor.
What Is GRE?
The Graduate Record Examinations, or GRE, is much more general than the MCAT. The test is accepted for various master and doctoral programs all across North America. It is administered by the ETS, or the Educational Testing Service. It also tests each candidate’s abilities in various ways.
College can be an enjoyable experience, but it can also be terrifying at the same time. You pick your major and minors at the beginning, then there is the big question of what you're going to do after graduation.Tweet This
The Major Differences between MCAT and GRE
- Accepted by many graduate schools for various programs across North America.
- The computer-based form is offered throughout the year. But the candidates wishing to take paper-based will have to give in October, November, or February.
- The total time given for the GRE is 3 hours and 45 minutes. Students also get a 10-minute break.
- Two of the sections are worth 170 points, and one part is scored on a scale of 0 to 6.
- The GRE scores are valid for 5 years from the exam date.
- Candidates are allowed to take the exam five times in one year.
“Choosing the best standardized test for graduate studies and your future career is a major step. Understanding the differences between the GRE and the MCAT will help you make an informed decision.” – Thoughtco.com
- Only accepted by most medical colleges in North America
- The test is computer-based. It is offered from January to September every year, around 25 times.
- The candidates are given 7 hours and 30 minutes to complete the MCAT.
- There are four sections with a total score of 472 to 528.
- The MCAT score has a validity of 3 years.
- The same person can give three tries in one year, and seven in their lifetime.
What Is Most Suitable For You?
The GRE mainly focuses on general
If you are not yet sure whether medical school is the right option for you, then the GRE might be more suitable for you. You should look into the schools where you want to apply. Some of the medical fields, such as veterinary sciences, accept both GRE and MCAT.