We may receive compensation when you click on links to products from our partners.
Whether you’ll be working in a paid or unpaid position, you should treat your internship much as you would any other job opportunity. An internship is an excellent way to learn the ins and outs of your industry, make connections with people in your field, and ultimately decide what your next career move should be.
In order to make the most of your opportunity to work as an intern, you should prepare yourself both physically and mentally for the experience.Whether you’ll be working in a paid or unpaid position, you should treat your internship much as you would any other job opportunity. An internship is an excellent way to learn the ins and outs of your industry.Click To Tweet
Finding the Right Internship
Finding the right internship takes both patience and research skills. No matter what your chosen degree and career field, If you put in the time necessary you can likely find an opportunity that fits you perfectly.
- Figure out what you want out of your internship experience: connections, a deeper understanding of the field, opportunities to work on specific projects, etc.
- Start searching early (at least one semester prior to the semester for which you are applying).
- Look for opportunities on internship-aggregating websites. Internships.com is one such that specializes in internship opportunities.
- Identify target companies and organizations and contact them about available opportunities.
- Reach out and network—people in your acquaintance may be aware of internships you had not previously considered.
Resume and C over Letter
See how your resume stacks up! Our resume review will include three sections: (a) strengths of your resume, (b) areas to improve, and (c) the results of an ATS scan.
Make sure that
One of the best things you can do to prepare for an internship
At TopInterview, each session is tailored to you and your unique goals. Your choice of comprehensive packages make it easy to get the help you need to nail your interviews. TopInterview offers three plans based on your needs
While on the job as an intern, you need to do your best to impress your internship providers. Many volunteer internships can lead to full-time employment opportunities or great recommendations for future positions, but only if you are willing to work hard.
- Be enthusiastic and self-motivated
- Ask for assignments
- Assert yourself
- Show up on time
- Complete tasks quickly
Whether working for Fortune 500 companies or nonprofit organizations, internships are great opportunities to start your chosen career and gain experience while still in school. Prepare yourself now to be an excellent intern, and you will get a lot out of the position.
Never miss an opportunity. On ZipRecruiter, top companies reach out to you.
There's no need to look anywhere else. With over 9 Million jobs, ZipRecruiter is the only site you'll ever need to find your next job.