I was in a meeting the other day, went to sit down on a chair and almost fell. It turns out that one of the four legs was broken (although you could not tell because the chair was still standing). Funny thing, three perfectly good legs, one bum leg and the chair can’t be used! Yeah, you might be able to sit on it if you didn’t lean to the side where the leg was broken but at some point you would probably fall off. Job search is much the same. There are four legs you should use in your job hunt. While you might get away with two or three, four is more likely to give you a balanced search and increase your chances of landing a job. For me, the “four legs” of job search are Recruiters, Job Search Sites, Networking (and Social Networks) and Company Career sites.
- The Top 50 Best Job Search Sites You Need to Know About (from Rileyguide.com) – A wonderful list of recruiters and a great place to start. This is a list of lists (some free, some paid). You can spend days here using all of the resources (just don’t forget about the other four chairs).
- The Top 50 Best Job Search Sites You Need to Know About – Another great list, this one from recruiting-online.com, this is an actual list of recruiters, followed by a listing of a few directories.
Job Search Sites:
- The Top 50 Best Job Search Sites You Need to Know About – A good list of job search sites from thebeehive.org.
- Over 100 iPhone job apps – This is a great source of iPhone job apps (from JobMob.co.il) to help you find a job on the run. Using Android and feeling left out? Don’t worry, they also have a great list for Android – 300+ Android Job Search Apps.
- List of social networking websites – A great list of social networks from our friends at Wikipedia.org, In addition to listing the names and a brief description, the list provides additional information regarding registration.
- Top Social Networking Sites for Job Searching – Another list, this one from About.com, these are some of the social networks that are good for job search.
Company Career Sites:
- Links to Jobs at Company Career Sites – This list, from CareerAlley.com (wait a minute, that’s me!), is a good start for your list. Don’t forget the links at the bottom of the page. Also check out:
- 15 Links to the Best Places to Work – If you are going to look at company career sites, why not look at the best companies to work for. This link is a Google search.
Career Tip of the Day: 80 Job Search Resources for Your Job Hunt
Suggested Reading: The 2-Hour Job Search: Using Technology to Get the Right Job Faster
We are always eager to hear from our readers. Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions or suggestions regarding CareerAlley content.
Good luck in your search,