There is a reason hotels charge more for the beach view than the inside building view. It’s all relative, the other guy’s view always seems to be better (you know, the grass is always greener on the other side of the street). Jobs are much the same. You could be fat and happy, enjoying your job and then you get a call from a recruiter who happens to have the most amazing job. More money, more responsibility, better company, great career opportunities, and so on. And, everything the recruiter says may be exactly right (or not). Whatever your reason for looking for a job, if you are already employed and looking to make a move you need to be even more careful that you are making the right move. While most people do research on a company before they make a move, they don’t always do the right research.
Basic Research: First you need to do the basic research on any company you are considering as your next employer.
- Vault.com Company Research – Vault.com offers company and employer research on their site. You can search by name, industry, state, country, number of employees, rankings, etc. (or any combination). There is basic information on each company on their list as well as the company’s website (which will have additional information). There is company search on the right hand side of the page and tons of information. While you are there, take a look at the other job related information.
- Wetfeet.com – This site is about much more than just company research (more on that later). But, it is a great place to start your research. Click the link at the top of the page for Employers and type in the name of the company on the right hand side of the page. Once you’ve done this, you will get lots of good information on your research companies. Now, back to the other stuff on this site. You can also get great advice on Job Interviews, Resume tips, Job Search and more.
What do Employees Say?
- Payscale.com – “Company Reviews, Salary Reports”. This site has reviews of companies, leading with the most popular companies. This section is followed by an alphabetical listing of companies with reviews. The page has a link to rate company reviews and salaries.
- Glassdoor.com – This site also provides employee reviews and in-depth information on companies. Once you are on a company page, you will see individual reviews as well as an overview. There are tabs at the top of the company pages for Reviews, Salaries, Interviews, Photos and Jobs. The reviews page shows an overall rating, listing of reviews and an overview on the right hand side of the page. Take a look at their Jobs links while you are there.
Other Research Sites: There are quite a few company research sites; some are listed below:
- Jobs Rated Report 2016: Ranking 200 Jobs
- 100 BEST COMPANIES TO WORK FOR
- Most Disliked Companies In America: The Top 15
- 2016’s Best & Worst Cities to Find a Job
We are always eager to hear from our readers. Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions or suggestions regarding CareerAlley content.
Good luck in your search,