Changes in the economy have had a big impact on today’s job market. Career opportunities in the current market have been more difficult to come by especially for college graduates. Some career choices may actually put you at risk for losing your job if your career path is affected by changes in the economy. Experts suggest that college students should consider looking for a job in their chosen career path before graduation. Yet, there are certain career opportunities that are just as lucrative since their demand will continue to be consistent during market changes.
- Tax Professional or Accountant: Dealing with taxes is something that will be ongoing and likely until the end of time. People are often intimidated to complete their taxes on their own because of complex rules and regulations part of the tax code. Most people know taxes are unavoidable but prefer to hire a professional to make sure their calculations are correct. Business owners and individuals continue to seek expertise from such professionals.
- Retirement Consultant: Studies claim that nearly 50 percent of baby boomers have under $50, 000 saved when it’s time to retire. While this means a high number of baby boomers have yet to start saving, this also means more career opportunities. Retirement consulting includes giving advice to those to help them make better financial options whether they are in or close to retirement. This may include helping those understand reverse mortgage options and rollovers for retirement accounts. There are also new products being developed and available on the market for baby boomers. Consultants can use their expertise to help others understand their options.
- Business Broker: This career option may have you helping those who have built their own business. Experts claim many businesses will be put on the market and sold within a few years. This may add to the retirement issue since more would be forced to retire. Yet, brokerage experts claim this is a trend that may see more money being transfer or growing within the market. Investment banks, for example, stand to obtain considerable gains from such transactions including family owned businesses that may be put up for sale in the future.
- Software Engineer: There has always been a demand for this position and it is likely it will continue in the future. Depending on your expertise and skill level, this career field may make you more marketable. Various corporate companies rely on people in this field because of ongoing changes in technology and digital platforms. This career path plays a big role in the development of programs used daily such as software, online games, apps and more.
- Digital Marketing: Those in this field have been known to have more stability than other positions similar to this area. This field may not be as technical as a computer engineering specialist or a network administrator but their need continues to grow in the current market. Such marketing platforms including mobile, social and online have benefited from unique changes being made in connection to advertising. But keep in mind, budgeting for advertising has been known to be a risk when the market shifts. It helps to have versatile skills and expertise that will keep you ahead of change.
- Medical Field: Positions in this field will continue to be in high demand for various reasons. People are known to deal with different health conditions including obesity and aging. High healthcare costs and needs for medication also continue to put positions in this area on constant demand. It is understandable that many shy away from this career option due to regulations and insurance issues being complex. But positions such as nursing, physical therapist and pharmacist often don’t require as much training or education as a doctor.
- Dental Field: Another field that will be in constant demand, yet wage earnings in this area have fluctuated in recent years. Certain procedures may see a drop in demand but other procedures are deemed to maintain their demand helping those in this profession continue to earn well.
- Real Estate: This field is known for savvy business individuals to earn good commission on property sales. Yet, the market does have its ups and downs along with the economy. But at the same time, the fluctuations insure opportunities for both property buyers and sellers.
- Teachers for Higher Education: College professors are known to earn good wages but the need for them is likely to stay in demand. Changes in the market have encouraged more to go back to school and learn a new trade or obtain a degree.
Trade and Manual Labor: Most college grads may not be interested in this area but blue collar jobs are growing in demand. One reason is for those who have been in the profession for years retire or change industries.
Kausik B is a Digital Marketing Professional and an enthusiastic writer, who holds an editorial position in Prepgenie, a test prep provider that offers exam preparation courses for GAMSAT, PCAT, HPAT, LNAT, UMAT and UKCAT.
This is a Guest post. If you would like to submit a guest post to CareerAlley, please follow these guest post guidelines.
Good luck in your search.