“A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step” – Lao-tsu
There is always lots of debate about what percentage of jobs are filled by recruiters versus through someone you know. For me, almost every job I’ve had (and I’ve had lots), was through a recruiter with the exception of one. On the flip side, I’ve probably hired as many people through recruiters as I have through someone I know. Where I currently work, the vast majority of positions are filled through recruiters (maybe 75%). Most larger companies leverage their internal recruiting staff, leveraging LinkedIn and job search boards to do most of their recruiting, although they do turn to recruiters for the tough positions. So now that I’ve definitively solved that debate, on to today’s topic – covering recruiters from CareerAlley’s library of links.
- Alden & Associates, Inc. – This firm specializes in executive recruiting for Higher Education. Although located in Massachusetts, prior searches cover many locations (which is true for many recruiters). Clicking on Executive Search will take you to a page that shows their current searches as well as targeted searches for Athletic Administrators, Senior Administrators and Head Coaches. Applying for a specific position will bring up a screen to enter the appropriate information. If you don’t see specific positions to apply to, forward your resume (with a cover letter).
- Edgelink – Specializing in direct hire and contract staffing for Technology, Edgelink’s site has a number of resources for the job seeker. There is a blog (link is at the top right-hand side of the page) and there is a link to “About Edgelink” which has links to a number of resources. Clicking on “For Candidates” will open a page that allows a search of current assignments, “submit resume” and candidate login. As with all of these sites, best bet is to search jobs first and apply if appropriate, otherwise use the “submit resume” link.
- Butterfass, Pepe & MacCallan – This firm specializes in Financial Services, the hardest hit industry (so far) in the current recession. Main page offers information on the company, services offered, industry links and “submit resume”. You can also forward your resume via em from the contact page (although I would recommend the “submit resume” function).
- Medical Executive Search Associates, Inc (MESA) – Based in Arizona, MESA has been in business for over 20 years and specializes in the Medical Industry. Click on “Candidates” from the main page, fill out the form (don’t forget to click the “send your resume” link on the right-hand side of the form). Although the first page has key contact information, there is no indication of previous placements on the website
- Addison Search – This recruiter focuses on four industries: Finance & Accounting, Information Technology, Administrative and Healthcare. From their main page, you can click on one of the four industries. This takes you to a page that has jobs for that industry by city (middle of the page) with locations on the left. Below locations is a Job Hunting Tips area where you can get additional information on Resumes, Search Firms, Interview Tips and more. A very good point they make under “Search Firm Rules of the Road” is that you should keep track of where your resume is sent. Don’t let more than one search firm send your resume to the same place. This is not good for you and certainly won’t help with your relationships with the search firms.
- Tyler & Company – Tyler & Co is a Healthcare Executive Search Firm. Their site includes information for candidates as well as job search (Open Positions on right-hand side of the page). Clicking on “Contact Us” will take you to a page where you can either search for jobs or submit your resume.
- Street Advisor Group – This company provides both job placement and consulting services. Their home page has a listing of the latest job postings. Clicking on Job Seekers takes you to the advanced job search page. You can also submit your resume from this page. Street Advisor Group specialized in Wall Street placement.
- Stan Hamlet Associates – Stan Hamlet Associates specializes in placement for Accounting, Auditing, Tax, Finance and HR for Fortune 500 companies. Their main page has sample postings and the email addresses of their staff. Their areas of focus are also listed, clicking on these takes you to a dedicated search page/listing of jobs associated with that profession. Clicking on “Apply” on the left hand side of the page will take you to a page that allows you to apply for a specific job or submit your resume.
Good luck in your search.